August 03, 2010

Sealevel: my altitude of choice

Mr. Gadget and I are back from our trip to Lake Tahoe--back where the breathin' is easy. The lake was beautiful and the scenery majestic, and the whole experience was just.....breathtaking. When I'm up at 5,000 feet I find myself sitting a lot with my feet up and wondering how all the hikers and bikers manage not to fall over in a faint.
As expected, we spotted many trucks headed north loaded with tomatoes...which made me feel indeed fortunate to have found a few this morning at the local farm market.
I didn't buy any souvenirs. Now that I've reached the ripe old age known as senior citizenhood, I'm more into expelling rather than accumulating. But I did pick up a few freebies.
A few rocks to use for turtle-building. The body and head are lake rocks; the legs and tail rocks were stolen from my neighbor's yard, but she's out of town and I can't imagine she'll miss them. Besides, after she sees my festively-painted turtle, she'll be wanting one of her own. Did I ever mention Big City Girl has a turtle? She named him Shelby...
I've made some progress on my cloth stash basket.

This should be easy to pack when I return to the Treehouse. Here's a closer look at the print:

Stacks of fabric. I had no idea what I would use it for when I bought half a yard, but it was so whimsical I couldn't pass it up. The basket could hold a variety of things.....fabric remnants, balls of yarn, ribbon spools, Snickers bars. The pattern calls for a medium weight Pellon stabilizer to help it stand upright. If I make this again out of quilting fabric (as this one is), I'd probably go with a heavier weight stabilizer. But the medium would work well if using a heavier fabric, like a drapery weight or similar.

So tomorrow Mr. Gadget and I will throw our chairs in the car and spend a couple of hours at the beach. There's no place like sealevel. Where the breathin' is easy.

No comments: