August 24, 2010

Coffee, stat!

This is what jet lag will do to you. I felt better today and was able to make more progress on DML (disheveled morning lady). She needs a little more color in her face, but not too much. Maybe a touch of blush. Or maybe just more red around her eyes.....like she really tied one on.

She'll eventually have lovely pink rollers in her hair, so maybe that will be all the color she needs. I've been fretting over how to do the rollers. I wondered if I could find real pink foam ones in a small version. Then I considered small lengths of painted dowels. I think I've hit on just the right solution. The wooden handles on those little black foam craft brushes are just about the perfect diameter. Mr. Gadget says he can cut them into the lengths I need, and he can also drill a very small hole through them so I can sew the rollers right on the head--sort of like giant beads. And I'll paint them bunny-slipper pink. She may be slovenly, but she'll be color-coordinated.

I'm curious about whether she'll sell at the craft fair. Where would a person display a doll like this? Maybe on a bedroom dresser? Possibly on the bathroom counter? Not in an office, I'm pretty sure. And certainly not in the kitchen. Maybe in a back closet hidden from view?

I'm not sure why I'm using gray hair for many of my dolls now. Probably because I have such a big bag of it. What was I thinking when I was shopping at the sheep and wool festivals? Have I become an elder-dollmaker? I guess soon I'll have to give them all turkey necks and Medicare cards.....

No comments: