July 02, 2007

A little culcha

Mr. Gadget and I decided to take a little break this weekend for some culture. Honestly, I think he was concerned with what he perceived to be my growing obsession with paper flowers. It seemed clear to him that my brain needed a good airing, so he suggested an outing. We set off about 10:30 yesterday morning for west L.A. and the J. Paul Getty Museum. The traffic gods were with us; the freeway was in fine shape.
Entrance to the museum is free but parking is $8. After a short trip up the hill from the parking structure in a cute little tram, it's obvious just what a bargain this is.
The buildings are stunning, and the grounds are spacious and uncrowded. The blue skies didn't hurt either.

I had previously been to the Getty with my friend Barbara....you know, my former fabric-shopping buddy who ran off to Arizona for a man. Mr. G. had never been. He was impressed. I knew he would be, and that's why I've been suggesting this trek each time we come to SoCal. He couldn't get over the architecture. I love the gardens.

We walked through several of the galleries to see the work of Van Gogh, Cezanne, Manet, Goya and Degas--just to name a few. I should really take an art appreciation class now that I'm older and don't have to be concerned with grade point averages. I couldn't help but wonder if our era will produce as many talented portrait painters as in past eras since we have the advantage of digital photography.

So now fast-forward to today. I had a very delightful lunch with Molly, another of my high school friends. She just became a grandma for the second time, so I'm sure you know what her lunch topic was.... Molly also happens to have wonderful party-planning skills, so she offered me some great suggestions for the memorial. Not only does she know where to get the very best stuff, she knows what stuff to get. I took thorough notes. I can now shop for tablecloths and paper plates with renewed confidence.

And if and when I become a grandma, I'm sure Molly will happily offer to be my mentor. It should be a fairly easy job. It sounds like you're just supposed to spoil them rotten.....






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the Getty! Would Molly be known to me by another name?