July 08, 2007

Everything's ducky


There really hasn't been much to blog about lately. Yesterday, Mr. G and I took a little road trip to Balboa so I could hark back to the vacations of my youth. Each summer, my mom and dad would rent a little beach cottage for a couple of weeks. It wasn't far from home--only 50 miles or so, but it was fun and we looked forward to it. My sister and I always shared a bedroom and I remember fondly how we'd get the giggles.. The later it got, the angrier our folks would get, and the more we'd giggle.
I was hoping to take a walk down the boardwalk and visit some of the old places I remembered--the fun zone, the corn dog and cotton candy stands, and the ferris wheel. But it wasn't to be; there was no place to park. So we headed back north, stopped for lunch, and watched this cute little duck family.
The little babies stayed close to their mom, then ventured out on their own, with the most rebellious one (no visible tattoos or piercings) leading the pack. They tested the waters on the other side of a bridge, then swam back to mom. Kind of like their human counterparts only with more fuzz.
So today I took a little tour of the local dollar stores in search of some vases for the paper flowers. No need for Waterford crystal; ordinary glass will do just fine. I found these:
Just a buck and a half each, and made in China--of course! I'll put a little rice in the bottom of each (or maybe even sand) to weight them a bit, and I'll tie some raffia around the necks.

I have to admit, I made a small impulse purchase at one of the other stores on my tour. Well, isn't that what they count on? I found some cute folders for keeping paperwork in. Lord knows I have lots of that! I might share them with BCG and TG. I figured I could pass them off as Chinese souvenirs, but wouldn't you know....they're made in the USA.


So Mr. G is at the mall doing some shoe shopping. He came up with an idea that if he has an east coast wardrobe and a west coast one, he won't have to pack a suitcase for our trips back and forth. I like that idea too, but I have issues. You've heard that phrase, "your mileage may vary?" Well, my size may vary, so that idea is very impractical for me. But I figure if he really loves me, he'll carry my suitcase.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The flowers should look great in those vases! As for the dual wardrobes, my husband did that during the time he owned the farm/ranch in Kansas. He hated to wait for luggage, so gradually accumulated a western wardrobe (boots, string ties, jeans) that he could leave at the house in Coffeyville. Mr. G has a good point!

Anonymous said...

HOWDY!

Love the ducks! I get to see them in the ditch out back and they are a fun lot.

I'm with Mr. G and the other Marcia. Collect a few "rags" and only take one "special" outfit on the plane. Much easier living. Mr. H and I already have two sets of outfits for each "dwelling" right here in the West.

About Balboa Island, the crowds really do spoil stuff around here especially on weekends! Go during the week next visit.