June 30, 2007

More is better

In case you're wondering where I've been for the last few days, I've gone completely bonkers, I mean I've moved into high gear on my flower production. More is better I say. And I can only hope that guests attending the memorial celebration will take me seriously when I encourage them to take some flowers home. Otherwise I'll be peddling at the local busy intersection. And knowing the local curmudgeons as I do, there will probably be a permit required.

When I'm done with the flowers.....only a dozen left, I think......I'm going to start on the picture board.

I was browsing at Joann's the other day and I found some scrapbooking paper that I think will make good backgrounds for displaying some of the pictures on a white board. The leopard print should nicely accent the ones of my dad riding an elephant in India and a camel in Egypt. It may also work well for one of him with a big giant snake wrapped around his neck. The map print will highlight his road trips, and the bright red will make a nice background for his old black and white baby pictures. Then there are a few grandpa pictures with BCG and TG. He also played the piano, so I'll use some old sheet music for those.

I wasn't at all sure what to use to adhere these pictures to the display board. Michael's had zillions of different kinds of glue, all for a specific purpose I'm sure but not so's you'd know right off. I'd like the option of putting the photos, without glue residue, back in albums. I finally decided to go directly to the experts with my inquiry....those scrapbooking folks who frequent message boards on the internet. Several responded by suggesting I use transparent adhesive photo corners. There's just about no dilemma you can't find an answer to on the internet.

So here now are a couple of news tidbits to pass along since last I wrote. The other morning as I was leaving the condo complex on my way to Joann's, I noticed two police cars and a coroner's van parked at the corner. Not a good sign. I found out later that an elderly couple had been found shot--an apparent double suicide, although the final word is not in. Both were in failing health and with limited funds. A sad situation, but one that most folks I've talked to understand. And having had two parents who were healthy and vital until the last 5 years of their lives, and then depressed and frail and ready to go before their time, I can understand better than some.

You may remember the last time we were in SoCal there was a fire at one of the condos just down the sidewalk. Now this. Mr. G. and I are pretty sure our neighbors won't be too happy to see us coming anymore.

And then there was a news item about an Air China flight from Los Angeles to Beijing earlier this week. Seems it blew some tires on take off and had to return to the airport. This is the same flight Mr. G and I took a few weeks ago. Someone brought up the question about why they couldn't fly on to China and land there with blown tires just as easily as coming back to LAX......and certainly with much less fuel. I guess they had their reasons. There's a valuable lesson in this story however, and I will pass it along just in case someone is thinking of taking a long flight. Make sure you wait to take your sleeping pill till you're up at cruising altitude. It's kinda like when you have teenagers who've gone out for the evening. You don't want to have a cocktail or two because chances are you'll find yourself having an opportunity to get the car out of the garage at some point. Just sayin' is all......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, those flowers are great and you look very good, too, much too young to be around curmudgeons!