June 18, 2007

Now back to the regularly scheduled program....

Mr. Gadget and I have returned from our China adventure and now find ourselves firmly in the grips of jet lag. I'm not quite sure how that happened since we actually arrived home before we departed....heh...heh.... I will now pass along the very successful Macaroni Method for enduring a 12-hour airplane flight. Before you leave home, make sure you have the following items in your possession and don't be afraid to use them:

  • eye shade

  • ear plugs

  • neck pillow

  • sleeping pill
Then again, you could forego all of the above, plus the two airplane meals, and just drink six beers.....which is what the guy sitting next to Mr. Gadget did. Good thing he had the aisle seat.....

China was so much more than I expected. It's really more of an experience than a destination. Maybe sensory extravaganza is an even better description. A person needs all of her senses to take it in, and even then you feel like you must be missing something. I took over 450 photos; Mr. G. took 500 plus. I have no idea where to start......




These works-of-art are all hand-embroidered with silk thread. I've done lots of embroidery in my time, but I had to put my eyeballs up next to these to actually see the stitches. Mind-boggling.

Then there was the dumpling feast. The waiters came out of the kitchen with these steaming baskets stacked 15 or 20 high with all sorts of dumpling delights.



I'll be back tomorrow with more, but right now I need to take a nap. Then it will be time for dinner. I wonder if Mr. G. would take me out for a hamburger. Maybe I'll ask the waitress for a side order of sauteed fungus, but please hold the chicken feet......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Are you back back, or just California back? We got back to CT last Wednesday....strange, but we had what seemed like a 12 hour flight, too! That's what happens when they hold your plane on the runway in Dallas for almost two hours! I love those dumplings....especially the ones that look like frogs. (Afraid to ask what's IN them!)

Anonymous said...

Hey Marcias,

Never left CA myself. Must take at least 12 hours to cross the Pacific so MM, you must be just California back. Love the pictures...color me Chinese green with NV (and that's not short for Nevada) HA.

Maddie Can Fly said...

Welcome home! Looks like you had a great time - love seeing all the pictures.