June 04, 2007

Chinese souvenirs

Here are a few new things I bought to take along on the China trip. Since I'll have quite a lot of stuff to carry, I really needed a new purse with more room. I also needed some new shades, since my old ones are all scratched up. And the visor seemed like a good idea because that Chinese sun is going to be pretty hot. Guess where they were all made? You guessed it! I don't see any point in actually buying souvenirs while I'm there.

Earlier today, Mr. Gadget was eating his regular lunch, which is two kinds of cereal mixed together with raisins and maybe some blueberries, when he noticed a special offer on the back of the cereal box.
Just five gold seals from the boxes gets you one of these nifty projection alarm clocks. I've always thought one of these would be fun to have, so Mr. G. said he'd save the seals and mail away for one. I know he'll do it too because he's one of those folks who's ever-vigilant about rebates. He understands that companies don't really want you to send in for rebates, so they make it extra hard by including lots of complicated instructions. Mr. G. will not be deterred. He even keeps a little tickler file so he knows when it seems they've forgotten him....and he calls to nag. I can't help but wonder, though, whether you'd really need an alarm on a clock like this. Seems like that scary skull sitting on your night table would keep you awake all night.....

So I just happened to find myself in Joann's today. That's probably because it's conveniently situated next to the bank where I had to make a travel withdrawal. I felt the need for a little diversion. And they just happened to be having a 50% sale. This piece reached right out and grabbed me, so I bought enough for a skirt.
It's slated to be the next project on my new sewing machine.....which is not from China, by the way. It hails from Taiwan......

No comments: