August 07, 2013

Forehead forethought

So the clay witches are underway, and once again I didn't plan ahead.
There's not much room for eyebrows once her hat is on.  I think I'll just pull the hat down to the top of her eyes and make it look like I planned it that way.  I'll see if I can improve this situation on the next one.

Here's a profile shot and you can see I built up the head a little in the front.  This will at least keep her hat from blinding her.  I'm never sure how the nose will turn out.  I usually start with a pretty big piece of clay, since witches are noted for their big noses.  While I was posing her for this side view her right ear fell off.  I'll stick it back on and patch it up. That's one of the benefits of working with paperclay.

At this stage in the process I'm always disappointed and it's all I can do not to run to the dumpster.  But when she's all put together...with her hair, hat and make-up.... she'll be a beauty.  Or not.  That's one of the benefits of working with witches.  However they come out is just fine.

No comments: