May 12, 2013

Fascinating

On Friday I went with a group of my neighbors to the senior center for high tea in honor of Mother's Day.  I still don't think I'm old enough to socialize with those old ladies; I think of myself as a more youthful woman who's just visiting the center with a few older friends.....just to check things out for when I am old enough.  

We were told to bring our own teacup and saucer, and to wear a hat.  The tea cup was no problem.  I have my grandmother's china in a box in the basement.  In fact, I was able to loan one to teacupless Bingo Barbara for the occasion.  But the hat posed a problem.  I have a couple of hats that probably would have worked....but not without a haircut. At the moment I have big hair.  I'm in need of a good shearing.  So I went hatless.  But once I arrived, I noticed another of my neighbors.....Bingo Betty.  She was wearing something totally whimsical on her head.  It was just sort-of-a-hat.
It's called a fascinator.  It certainly wasn't up to Kentucky Derby standards, but it would be more-than-suitable for lunch at the country club or a stroll down the boulevard...or high tea at the senior center with big hair.

So Mr. Gadget took me out for Mother's Day brunch today.  We went to a restaurant that's a quaint old colonial-style house where the owner is also the chef.

It's not inexpensive, but the food is excellent....and sometimes quaintness costs a little more.  I started off with a mimosa, followed by Eggs Florentine, and finally a generous piece of carrot cake. 

It was truly a lovely affair.  If only I'd had a fascinator...

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

I think that Judy must have gone to a tea like that one with those "older ladies"! She was wearing a cute hat with a cute outfit the other day and she looked like she was going to "high tea". All that sounds like fun. And Mr. G is so nice to take you to that quaint restaurant with that yummy food. Very yummy looking for sure!