April 03, 2013

Don't look a gift purse in the mouth

I've been working on felted shoulder bags and today I actually finished one. 

This will be a gift for a friend who really appreciates handmade things. Some friends don't.  It's a big mistake to give those friends handmade gifts.  That's something we makers of handmade things usually find out the hard way.  The only time we get to see the gift is when the recipient takes it out of the wrapped box. Then it moves on to a bottom drawer somewhere, or they pass it on to someone else--who they hope you don't know and therefore don't socialize with.  Because, otherwise, well, it could be a bit awkward or downright embarrassing.

The friend to whom I'm gifting this bag is always appreciative.  She'll be using this bag the very next time I see her, and she'll tell me how much she loves the color and the flower, and how the strap is just the perfect length, etc. etc.  She'll gush.  I'm always a little uncomfortable around gushers.  I'd just like to say, "enough already."  But, of course, I wouldn't do that.  Gushers love to gush, and who am I to deny them the opportunity.

I added a few sparkly beads to the flower.  This friend, who already has one of my red flower pins, commented once that I should make some with bead embellishments, since many women love a little bling.  I'm not the blingy type, so I don't often think of that.  But this friend, in addition to being a gusher, loves her bling.
She's also a dog person.  She has a Boston terrier.  So I'm thinking of making her a little something for her dog.  Did you see this free pattern from Joann's?

Isn't it the cutest!  It's almost enough to make me gush.   

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

Marcia -- are you thinking of a gusher? We like those gushers here in the "golden" state. HA