March 28, 2013

Whoop-de-doo

Mr. Gadget and I are not big party people.  We'll never turn down an invitation to a party, but we rarely have parties ourselves and tend to celebrate family birthdays in an understated way.
Earlier this week Mr. Gadget observed his 65th birthday, and it was pretty much business as usual here at the Concondo. Just to make sure I didn't forget to wish him a happy birthday first thing in the morning, I put a sock on my nightstand the night before.  I'm pretty sure he didn't notice it, but then it really wouldn't have mattered because he already knows I'm nuts. 

Sometimes, if there's something important I need to remember, I'll put an object of some kind in a place where it absolutely doesn't belong.  Like for instance, if I need to remember to take something to someone, I'll put the TV remote in front of the door where I'd have to trip over it to get out.  Sometimes I put the object itself there, but obviously I can't very well do that with a lasagna.  I've found this to be a great memory trick and it's worked well for many years.  Maybe I should write a book.

I did get the special birthday placemat out for the occasion.

Mr. Gadget's brothers called to wish him a happy birthday.  His youngest brother and his wife are well known in the family as party animals.  They've rented big party boats and even flown to Paris to celebrate birthdays....especially big ones.

"What did you do for your big birthday?" asked younger brother when he called.

"Well," replied Mr. G, "I had some great stew and some delicious apple pie--both made by my lovely wife--and then I watched Jeopardy."

I'm not sure what his brother said after that.  It's possible he was at a loss for words. 

So, I finished knitting the white shoulder bag..... 
....and today I felted it in the washing machine.
 
Felted things usually come out of the washer misshapen and scrunched up. They require lots of poking and prodding and nudging.  It's a little like having children but the felted bags get with the program a lot more quickly.

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. G.!!!!