March 02, 2013

Here's the lowdown....

...in no particular order.

So I went to the woodcarving meet-up last Monday at the senior center, but the teacher didn't show. He had car trouble.  There were seven of us gathered, all eager to attack some wood. There were 5 women and 2 men--one of whom was a know-it-all-curmudgeonly type.  He told me my grandfather's woodcarving tools were very nice, and that I should hide them because they were something he would love to own, but that really all I needed was a small knife.

So I came home and asked Mr. Gadget if I could borrow a pocket knife from his gadget stash and maybe a small piece of pine.  No sense spending good money for an official wood-carving knife and all the trimmings until I've checked out the teacher and determined whether or not the curmudgeon is going to make me just want to stay home.

Very soon I'll be starting construction on a ring-bearer's pillow for Big City Girl's good friend who is getting married in April.  This has required some research and several consultations with the bride-to-be to come up with a plan for the perfect pillow.  This will include white satin, plum ribbon, embroidery thread, stuffing, and some fake rings to tie on the pillow so there's no worry if the 3-year-old ring bearer decides to throw it like a frisbee.

And further to the wedding preps, I'm going to dye some shoes for BCG who will be a bridesmaid.  "Just wear any old gold shoes you have in your closet," said the bride to BCG.  "Yeah, like I have gold shoes," replied BCG. 

So we went shoe-shopping while she was visiting last weekend and she got a pair of white shoes that she really liked because I confidently told her, "I'm pretty sure I can dye those gold for you."  In fact, I paid for the shoes since I was taking all of the color responsibility.   I'm so tempted to make them bright red with glitter.  It would be my little joke.  But then, I might be upstaging BCG who has her own little joke.

She assures me the only one at the wedding who will have a problem with this is the bride's grandma.  I must remember to take my camera.

So I was emailing with my cousin the other day and I sent her this same picture, and we got to discussing various skin decorations that we seem to be acquiring as we age....you know little tags and spots and things of various elevations.  She said her doctor calls them the barnacles of life.  I thought this was hilarious and wonderfully descriptive. I told her I didn't notice mine very much since I always keep them well-covered, but I had noticed many unusual things appearing on my face and that maybe I will call them wisdom badges.  Just how much wisdom can one acquire I wonder?   

No comments: