March 07, 2013

"Crossword clues for a thousand please Alex"

Mr. Gadget and I are big Jeopardy fans, as you've probably already guessed.  It's just part of our daily routine.  We play along and often collaborate on final jeopardy.  "Oh, what's the name of that cloth with the little ridges?" he'll shout out as he feels the stress of the catchy little tune winding down.  "Corduroy!" I declare confidently, showing off my impressive knowledge of all-things-fabricy.  We do make a good team.

This weekend Big City Girl will be making a return trip to the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament in Brooklyn--not far from where she lives.  Since there's no stadium seating available and no loud cheering permitted on the sidelines, we'll stay home and wait to hear from her. 

Some contestants really get into the total crossword experience.

Again, as I did two years ago when she first competed, I offered to make her a cute little outfit, but she politely declined.  BCG doesn't like to make a spectacle of herself.  She's funny that way...

So here's what I've been up to:

On Monday, I went back to the woodcarving group and found the instructor in attendance and the big-mouth a bit more subdued.  I made an attempt to carve a small owl--the class project of the day.  In the process I cut my finger and bled on my handiwork.  Fortunately, no medical intervention was required, but now--as I understand it--I'm an official member of the brotherhood....make that sisterhood...of woodcarvers.

I also made an attempt to felt a small knitted bag. 


I wasn't sure what the shrinkage factor would be, so this is just an experiment.  I used Cascade 220 yarn (info for you knitters) and was very happy with the way it felted.  I'm now at work on a slightly bigger version that will be a better size for one of my felted-flower embellishments.

As for the shoe-coloring project, I had pretty good luck with the fabric paint.

They are a bit splotchy in spots, but I'm reluctant to do a second coat.  I think they're good enough--in light of the fact that BCG will be wearing a long dress that will hide most of her shoes, and I'm assuming the big tattoo will deflect attention from her feet.  Unless, of course, grandma-of-bride decides a shoe inspection is in order....in which case BCG might end up being voted off.

1 comment:

Kathy W. again said...

PS take this off here if too much exposure to your public.