July 23, 2012

The climbers

Yesterday Mr. Gadget and I climbed a volcano--Haleakala, the highest peak on Maui at 10,000 ft.  We didn't do it on foot.  We used the car, which seemed the smarter option.  But that didn't prevent me from being breathless when we reached the summit.  As I sat on the lava stone wall to try to figure out where my breath went, a bicycle rider rolled by, hardly panting, and immediately made a call on his cell phone--no doubt to brag to his friends about his momentous feat.  You'll never see me attempting such a ride.  I'm sure they don't make those tight little bicycle shorts in my size.

After we had mostly coasted down the hill, we visited a couple of small funky artsy-craftsy towns that we had been to before.  One was Paia where we had fish sandwiches at non-McDonald's prices.  Then we stopped in a shop called Maui Hands so I could see the work of one of my favorite clay artists. I didn't buy anything.  I just oogled.  

The second stop was in the town of Makawao.  We had some ice cream--at Baskin-Robbin's prices but in mini portions.  I bought a t-shirt at the same shop where I had bought one 6 years ago.  When I find a style of clothing in just the right color and size, I'm likely to travel as far as I need to for a replacement.

I mentioned before about those pesky egrets.  There's another kind of pest here on Maui that is downright dangerous.  Centipedes.  They are interesting to look at, but you don't want to step on one.  Or meet one during the night on trips to the bathroom.  If one of these nasty critters finds a toe, a person could have an entire Hawaiian vacation ruined.  Our hosts had the house sprayed before we arrived, but still...

And now I'm going to get myself a cold drink and find a lounge chair....and check to see if Molokai is still there.

1 comment:

Kathy W. said...

Sounds like a wonderful time there in the islands! What do centipedes do? Are they poisonous? Or just sting?