July 01, 2012

The library is open!

Thelma the librarian is finally finished except for a few little touch-ups.  She ended up being a more involved project than I normally like. But I'm fairly pleased with how she came out.
My plan was to give her a stern demeanor without making her look scary.  I think I have the eyebrows to thank for that.  As I've said before, I never know quite what I'm going to end up with when it comes to the face.  Clay often has a mind of its own.

I made Thelma's clothes, including the handknitted sweater.  I may add some buttons later.  The sweater was tricky because I had to sew one side seam and set in one sleeve while Thel was wearing it.
I originally planned to have her right hand on her hip.....to punctuate the stern look....but then I found the little book in my stash of stuff.  It's Nonsense ABC's by Edward Lear.  It's just the right size.

I have no plans for Thelma at the moment, other than to let her sit in our bookcase and enforce some quiet reading time.

Mr. Gadget and I will soon be underway to the Calcondo. It will be nice to trade the 90-degree heat and humidity for more pleasant 70-degree temps with afternoon ocean breezes.  Unfortunately I've been told the ants are still in residence. I think it's time to start charging them rent. 

1 comment:

Kathy W. said...

The librarian captures the essence of her work! HA! Welcome to EL AY!