July 21, 2012

The changing times

On my first trip to Hawaii in 1961, with my parents and my sister, I wore a home-sewn dress with jacket to match and white patent leather shoes with a matching purse. My family dressed up too, and the newspaper from our hometown sent a photographer and took our picture, posed at the bottom of the airplane stairway, for publication.

Times have changed. Now many of the passengers wear shorts and flip flops and well-worn t-shirts.  Flight attendants looked different back then too.  I'm pretty sure none of them had one-and-a-half inch nails painted bright bubble-gum pink.

So today, as I sat in my lounge chair watching the clouds come and go over Molokai, I worked on a crocheted flower for future felting.  When I was at the yarn store earlier in the week--the one that sponsored the yarn cruise (did I mention that?) I bought some varigated yarn (Lamb's Pride from Brown Sheep Co.) to see how it would work up for the flowers.  I'll let you know after I return to the Concondo and felt them in the good washer that I try to use just for that purpose, but sometimes Mr. Gadget expects me to wash his underwear.

I'm going to finish up this post now...since I'm having to hunt and peck on this small keyboard and it's making me feel like I need a glass of wine.  Besides, I don't want to be late to the luau.

No comments: