March 22, 2012

Cuppa somethin'


A few days ago I went to visit an elder friend who I stop in to see occasionally. I usually take her a few things that I know she'll enjoy. These usually include homemade cookies and sometimes I take her a big bottle of Vodka (the latter compliments of Mr. Gadget.) She suffers from a variety of aches and pains and finds that a little nip of Vodka (or possibly a double shot) after dinner takes the edge off--so much better, she says, than pills, and there's no need to have a doctor write a prescription.

The day before I went to see her she called to ask me to bring my crocheted snake so she could see it....and she also requested that I check the internet to see if I could find a pattern for a crocheted toilet paper roll cover. She said her bathroom needed a little accessorizing and she had a friend who would crochet it for her.

I was happy to comply, and I did find several patterns that fit the category, but most were just too froo-froo. I know that's not a word, but you probably know what I mean. Just too many lacey little picot stitches and whatnot. I did find this one though and I was immediately struck by the whimsy. I decided I had to give it a try. If it didn't work out, or she didn't like it, I'd just put it in Mr. Gadget's basement bathroom and call it a cuppa tea--Mr. G's beverage-of-choice, or maybe I'd stitch some big white French knots on top and call it hot chocolate with marshmallows.


My friend was very pleased with the cover and with my efforts, but I think Mr. Gadget was a little disappointed. I'm sure he was hoping it would be decorating his bathroom. Don't tell him this, but I'm going to make another one just for him. It should be finished in time for his birthday. Maybe I'll throw in a homemade apple pie too. I hope he knows just how lucky he is to have a wife who crochets and can bake too. Maybe he'll take me on another cruise....

No comments: