June 01, 2011

You're building a what?

I mentioned in an earlier post my plan to make a doll for a contest. There's no actual prize being offered other than having pictures of the dolls-deemed-worthy published in a magazine. Most of the dolls that have previously appeared in this magazine have been wonderful works of art, so I'm a little bit embarrassed to even admit that I could possibly rub shoulders with real dollmakers.

I've decided to treat this whole project like a Sunday joy ride. I'll head out and if I hit road construction on the four-lane highway, or it funnels down to a two-lane dirt road with major ruts, I'll turn back and be happy I had a little chutzpah.

The project I have in mind requires me to make an armature-skeleton-thingie. I thought about getting out one of my dollmaking books to read up on the proper way to do this, but I've never been one to waste time reading directions, so I skipped this part.
I'm guessing it doesn't need to be anything fancy. Just two arms, two legs, and a neck that will hold a head.Here I've started to wrap him up. He needs a little meat on his bones. His arms are a little long, but I'll keep my wire cutters handy and snip off whatever he doesn't need once I figure out exactly how he'll use them.

He seems pretty flexible. In fact, he looks like someone who might be fun at a party. I wonder if his crotch is too low? He'll eventually be wearing pants, so it's probably not a big deal. He's certainly not very handsome at this point. Think of him dressed in his underwear--underwear you might put on in the morning if you weren't planning to be in an accident later in the day.

For now I'll continue along on my Sunday ride. I didn't count on all this traffic though. Is this a holiday weekend?

No comments: