June 07, 2011

Now trending in the Treehouse

Today it's all about clay. I've shoved the sewing machine out of the way and spread old newspapers on my work table. It's messy and sometimes frustrating--like when I forget to wash my tools and then find the one I need covered with dried clay.




The mummified armature now has a head, although a bit crude, I'll admit. It's amazing what a little sandpaper, paint and hair will do--not to mention properly-fitting clothes. I'm not so confident about that last part. This is going to require me to be a costume designer. And I'm still falling short in the forehead department, probably because I'm still falling short in the fore-thought department. I may have to add more clay up on top. But part of the beauty of paper clay is that wet clay can be applied to dry clay. It's oh-so-forgiving, and I like that in a craft medium.


And since the clay was out and at my messy, sticky fingertips, I thought I'd do a little work on the bawdy one.
She, too, is rather rustic at this point, but I'm counting on the magic of sandpaper, paint and costuming. I've given her a bikini top made from two clay triangles and I'm considering a tu-tu. She's an elder gal who loves to let it all--well, almost all--hang out.


But first and foremost, she likes to be comfortable. Nothing beats an old pair of bunny slippers.

1 comment:

Nancy Anne in the Finger Lakes said...

Seriously? Maybe he's just one of those guys who doesn't have much of a forehead. Or maybe he wears a hat. A really, really cheesy gimme cap :o)