December 30, 2010

Is there help?

I wonder if there's a support group for mini-sweater-knitting addicts? And if there is, I wonder if it's permissible to knit during the meetings?
After Christmas I'm always ready for a break from dollmaking and the craft-fair push. That's when I especially love to knit because it's so relaxing. And somehow, these little mini-sweaters have caught my fancy. They are quick to make, and they're very portable for taking along to places where knitting is permitted. Like the senior center knitting group. They understand me there, and they know about knitting addictions. In fact, they are great enablers.
So now it's time for show-and-tell.
Mr. Gadget got me one of these for Christmas. It's a Kindle and it's my newest favorite toy. It even has a spiffy red case with a book light.
You can't see the light in the picture, but it pops out from the right top corner and gives off enough light to read in bed without keeping your lazy-bones partner awake. I had resisted the ebook idea for a long time, since I've always been a big fan of libraries. In fact, I've prided myself on having library cards on both coasts. But then I realized there are lots of free books available for Kindles and I liked that idea. I'm still gonna keep my library cards though. Just in case the Kindle gives me an attitude.
And Big City Girl, who knows how much I love handmade gifts, gave me a wonderful set of greeting cards that she collaged and had printed.
There are 20 cards in the box--5 for each season--and they are 4" x 6" with a glossy finish. I plan to use them as birthday cards mostly, since I'm not fond of going to the card shop and spending big bucks for a card with someone else's sentiments. These are blank inside, so I can include my own witty and/or wacky wishes. I especially like the snowmen--each with a different hat.
BCG has an unusual talent for cutting letters out of paper without actually drawing them on the paper first. A friend of a friend happened to see her doing this one day and thought it bordered on the amazing. In fact, he was so taken with this seemingly unique talent that he requested a special sampling of random letters--which she provided for him a few days later by U.S. Mail. I guess wackiness doesn't fall far from the tree....

3 comments:

Marcia said...

GREAT mini sweaters! I have some mini hangers around here somewhere if you want them.

Glad you love your Kindle....think of how many trees are saved with e-books!

Your daughter DOES have an amazing talent, there! I had to buy a $200 machine that I still haven't figured out how to work for cutting letters.....

Marge Malwitz said...

Love those mini sweaters!!!!!
Have fun with your kindle-people seem to love them. I'm still lugging around the library books!

Conni said...

Marcia, those sweaters are adorable!!!

Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and for your very nice comment!

Enjoy your cruise - and I think that jacket you made is terrific!