December 06, 2010

Nice ice

Mr. Gadget and I took a ride up to the old hotel yesterday afternoon to check out my doll sales. As we approached the entrance I noticed that the brick walkway was lined with ice candles.This brought back fond memories of the year I made ice candles. I put them out on the back deck--at the old house--in the snow where we could admire them through the family room windows. Mine were smaller than the ones in the picture--which appear to have been made in buckets of some kind. I used plastic gallon milk jugs.

I cut off the tops of the jugs far enough down so the sides were perfectly straight. (This part will be important later.) Then I put an empty tin can inside the jug and filled it with rocks--or something else that would provide weight. Next I filled the jug with water up to the level of the can. Then I put it in the freezer, or outside if it was below freezing. Once frozen, I set it in the sink for a few minutes till the ice melted just enough to allow the can to slide out, and then I slid the large piece of ice out of the milk jug (this is why the straight sides are important.)

Very quickly I carried it outside and put it in a place for optimum viewing pleasure. I placed a small candle inside--votives are a good size--and lit 'er up. These will last a long time in wintery weather and they're very festive! And if you really want to go all out, put a little food coloring in the water.

Oh, yes. About the dolls. Six of 15 were sold, including Santa with the bunny slippers. So this has got me wondering...as I'm wont to do about so many things....would a slightly smaller pair of bunny slippers make a nice ornament? And would I then have to call them slornaments?

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Neat idea, those ice luminaria! If the forecast weren't calling for 40's by the weekend, I'd make a few out of all those kitty litter buckets we've never figured out what to do with!

Tiny bunny slippers would be great ornaments, but so would tiny socks! All that leftover sock yarn I thought I had is nowhere to be found, by the way, but I'll keep looking. There must be some....

BTW...the word verification today is "muzzle"....heh.