December 28, 2010

The blizzard almost ate my blog

There were so many times during the last two days when I thought the condo complex was really just a house of cards that would blow away any minute.

We've just had a blizzard--my first official blizzard since moving to the northeast in 1983. There have been a couple of pretend blizzards, but they were nothing compared to the real thing. How does one recognize a blizzard, you might ask? One doesn't have to concern oneself with that. That's what the Weather Channel is for. They'll tell you if there's a blizzard going on. You'd think they'd come up with a catchy name for one too--like they do for all the other weather extravaganzas--but this time they fell down on the job. Mr. Gadget and I were sorely disappointed. We like nothing more than to have a good laugh over the Weather Channel's choices of names for weather happenings. It's not unlike being entertained by a good crop of football-player first names.
Here is Mr. Gadget shoveling some "surprise" snow from in front of our garage door. I had just told him I wanted to walk out onto the driveway to look around the neighborhood--during a break in the blizzardness.

"Our driveway looks pretty clear," I said, after noticing most of the snow had blown across the street. He looked out the garage windows and agreed, and then opened the overhead door.
I must say, he was a good sport about it though. While I took a few photos he shoveled....and cautioned me to watch where I stepped because he feared I might re-injure my Thanksgiving knee....and then who would heat up the Christmas leftovers?

So now I'm feeling a little tired. A good blizzard will do that to you. I think I need to sit a while near the fireplace with my feet up and enjoy a cup of coffee, and knit more mini sweater ornaments. Maybe Mr. Gadget will throw a nice crocheted afghan over me and I'll just sleep till New Years.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Hard to believe this was your first blizzard! There have been lots of "fizz-ards" for sure! We raced the storm up the coast from Baltimore and got home just as the first flakes were starting to drop...Baltimore got nothing! Still glad we made it home. Hopefully the California weather will be better! Happy New Year!

Marge Malwitz said...

Loved seeing what it looked like at your end of the street. Man it was blowing! We had 0" (where the grass showed) to 4'. I really loved the excitment of it all.
Yesterday I had to get out to dig down 2' to free my dryer vent so I could start drying a load. It was below zero - wind chill factor. I haven't been that cold since skiing days! I think you must be leaving soon.