July 08, 2010

From the western front



Mr. Gadget and I have arrived at the Calcondo and now await the ant contingent. Word has it they've been sighted and are enroute. Oh, how we've missed them....
And as is usually the case when we come to town, we're frequently accompanied by trouble and all manner of mayhem. Our neighbors only pretend to be happy to see us. One time during our visit a fire broke out in a nearby condo unit. Another time the coroner's van was spotted just up the street. And there's always an earthquake.
This time the earthquake didn't even wait till we were in the front door. It must have happened while we were driving from the airport because we only found out about it when one of the local folks wrote me an email and threatened that if we ever came to town again, there'd be police in pursuit on one of those high-speed freeway chases.
So I figured since we were coming to sunny California I'd only bring my summer clothes, and this afternoon I had to search my drawers for some winter socks. But I'm not complaining, since what we left behind was several days of record heat. And the good thing about me and winter socks is that when my feet are warm, I'm warm all over.
Tomorrow we expect a whole carload of relatives to arrive (I hope they don't mind ants) so I was unable to dally in getting to the grocery store. No jet-lag excuses this time. I've decided to make my hardly-ever-fails lasagna recipe for the crowd. Sadly, Auntie Pasto won't be coming. There's absolutely no place for her to sleep.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Oh, do I wish we were back in Utah (72º) or even Montana (45º in some locales) rather than steamy, soupy, hot Connecticut! We had to stand in line tonight for 1 hr 45 minutes (mostly outside in the sun) for a tragic wake of a friend's young daughter...on the other hand, standing in the sun in the heat beats the alternative. Have a great stay, ants notwithstanding.

Kathy W. said...

Hmmm, I'm enjoying my airconditioned room in Muncie, Indiana, thank you very much.