January 11, 2010

Philosophy lesson

Mr. Gadget and I arrived at the Calcondo on Saturday right on schedule. The threatening
snowstorm blew through quickly and left us with a beautiful day for travel. It was 16 degrees when we left Connecticut and 74 when we landed around noon. I'm finally starting to thaw.

One of the first things I do after we arrive is head to the grocery store.....where the produce section never fails to impress. I purchased some nice navel oranges for Mr. Gadget.

The man has no patience for red lights or slow talkers, but he can devote big chunks of time to skinning an orange, and after skillfully removing the peel in a single motion he'll very meticulously carve away every last bit of the white stuff.

"Why do you do this?" I asked. "You get antsy waiting for bread to toast. Besides that, I've heard the white stuff is good for you."

"It's really a philosophical matter," he told me. "There's the essence of orange, and then there's the essence of orange peel."

For some reason I'm reminded of his lecture on fleece.

"The white stuff goes with the peel," he said. "It's the part of the peel that sticks to the orange." Then, just before popping a big juicy section in his mouth, he said something really peculiar.

"Don't even think of getting me started on orbs."

Soon we'll be over our jet lag and things will be back to normal.


2 comments:

Kathy W said...

Welcome back!

Marcia said...

Glad you got there safe and sound! Wish I could have stowed away in someone's luggage.....