November 16, 2009

No union dues

I've been obsessed, I mean busy, in my doll factory. I only make minimum wage, but I can wear whatever I want to work, and I don't have to put up with annoying, gossipy coworkers. I only take short breaks to wring my hands (offspring) and to do Mr. Gadget's laundry (the man shall never want for clean undies).
This year's crop o' Santas has embroidered and beaded headbands, and little pant cuffs--some with fancy stitching and others with pretty ribbons.
Here's Fred the frog. Fred has an embroidered mouth, and a small ladybug bead sewn to his foot. I must get more of these ladybugs. They could be the lucky ones.
Here's the replacement angel. She has a story, or I should say her predecessor does. Several years ago a very nice woman bought one of my angels as a gift for her mother.
Sadly, Mom passed away and when daughter went back to the house to begin the process of sorting through her mom's things, the angel was gone. Someone had grabbed the angel and left the silver....imagine that! Daughter was sorely disappointed because she really wanted the angel, so I agreed to make another. See the feather-stitch embroidery and the beads on the wings? You're probably thinking this was a laborious project. Don't be fooled. I've done so much forget-the-housework embroidery that I can do this in the time it takes Alex Trebek to get through two episodes of Jeopardy.
Last night, while Mr. G was watching the Patriot-Colt football game--a game he mistakenly turned off at half time--I started a clay project. I must say, getting one's hands in clay makes it very difficult to wring one's hands. Our condo association is having a trim-a-tree party in early December--the first annual. Each resident has been asked to contribute an ornament. I figured now that I've had experience making clay witch faces, a snowman would likely be a piece of cake. Carrot cake...heh...heh...without the bundt pan issues....
He's at the only-a-mother-could-love-this-face stage, but I have faith. Miracles have been known to happen with a little sandpaper, some paint, a nice top hat and a sprinkling of glitter. Maybe I'll give the children a little sprinkling when they're here for Thanksgiving....

No comments: