November 02, 2009

A confession

Back in the mid-90's, when Tech Guy was in 8th grade, his Social Studies teacher gave the class an assignment to draw an editorial cartoon. In fact, all of the 8th grade students in the school, as well as all of the 8th graders in the town, received that assignment. The cartoons were to be entered in a national contest and the winning cartoons would be published in a book--Editorial Cartoons by Kids 1996.
I'm happy to report that Tech Guy's cartoon was selected for publication. But before he drew it, the two of us put our heads together and brainstormed. I came up with the idea because I had been reading about this handgun issue at the time. And nothing irritates me more than an annoying person in the express checkout line ahead of me with a cart full of groceries. In fact, it's one of my pet peeves--along with those ridiculous fruit stickers.
Fast forward to Wednesday of last week. I went to the grocery store to shop for our dinner party. Yeah, you probably already know where this is going.
"Did you know this is an express line?" asked the checker as I loaded up the belt with what were clearly more than 12 items.
"Oh, no! I'm sorry I didn't notice," I said as I looked sheepishly at the man waiting behind me with a hand basket.
"I have no excuse," I told the checker as blood rushed to my head, "except that it's the middle of the afternoon and I'm a morning person."
I came home and related this story to Mr. Gadget, and told him how embarrassed I had been--especially since I pride myself on being an ever-obedient rule-follower.
"Please don't let me wander out anywhere after noon," I implored him. "And, if necessary, by all means take my car keys."

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

I was at the dollar store this am and the man ahead of me had a lot of dollars worth and he was a talker, too. What a waste of time but I was as patient as I could be and everything worked out okay.

I'm noticing that I'm not as patient as I once was as I get older! But I don't carry a gun, just yet! Heehee!