May 18, 2009

The chips are down

My neighbor across the street....the one with the festive front porch....seems to be egging me on to join her in a game of front-porch poker. It's not what you're thinkin' either. Not one of those sit-down-at-the-table kinda games. You may remember this earlier photo. She's obviously a high roller.
I'm sure she could taste victory after glancing across the street and noticing the lousy hand I was dealt.But little did she know I had a few aces up my sleeve. I raised her a colorful doormat and a friendly sheep.

I couldn't help but wonder if, after seeing my surprise move, she'd fold. She did not. Instead, she countered with a couple of sneaky maneuvers. She moved her swan over behind her frog, then raised me a large boxy white planter.
Could she be scheming to plant even more festive foliage--perhaps a small decorative tree--or is she just trying to bluff? I can sense some big-game excitement building. Will we be sharing cigars soon?
I took a chance and raised her again--a cute little pot of red impatiens.
I'm feeling very confident now. I'm almost sure I can beat her, although she's shown herself to be pretty cagey. She may be a seasoned player with some tricky moves in store. On the other hand, I'm in a superior position with lots more space on my porch. I've also got a treehouse and a basement well stocked with crafty porch fixins'. I'm going to hang in. I think it's just a matter of time before she's goin' down.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

I'm rooting (routing?) for you with that Treehouse full of crafts! The lady across the way is toast!

Did you get an email from me today? Mail has been acting up and some aren't going out. At least I don't think they are.

Kathy w said...

What a cute way of playing keeping up with the porch "jones'". I'm looking forward to when you lay your cards down again.....