January 27, 2009

Eye surgeon needed, stat!

Here's my first clay-and-cloth doll experiment. She's still in process; there are more steps to go. But I'm thinking maybe I should call an eye surgeon to address that wonky left eye. Maybe it needs to be removed and replaced, but then there's the nagging question about whether the new one will look better than the old one. And what if it won't stay in its socket? What would an eye surgeon do, I wonder? I guess it's challenging dilemmas like these that earn them the big bucks.

She does look better now than in this earlier version where, in addition to the ophthalmological issues, she needed a major make-up re-do. I'm reminded of Mr. Gadget's dear Aunt Jessie....God rest her soul. In her later years (she lived to 99) she was almost blind, but she was always insistent on wearing her make-up whenever she went out.


I promised my new dollie I'd find her a date after she's all fixed up. She says S and P are a pair of really boring guys.

I'm feeling mostly OK about my first foray into the of clay-on-cloth world. I think I deserve a pat on the back for getting the features lined up in the right order. The chin and jawline are a little weird. More smoothing would have helped, but it's challenging to do that without launching the nose and lips across the room. There's also the aging eyesight of the dollmaker that must be taken into account.


I've finished another small crafty project. Here's a peek.

It's a gift, so must remain partly under wraps for now. I had lots of red felt left over from my ladybugs that will come in handy for Valentine projects. I'm accumulating quite a west coast stash. I think I'm a gal who was meant to always have a stash. Kinda like a big ol' ship with barnacles....

So Big City Girl retrieved her boots from the parking zone and flew back to the big city on Saturday. I made her a nice big turkey and cheese sandwich to eat on the plane, and I threw in a small bag of cheddar goldfish. Mr. Gadget slipped her a twenty for taxi fare. Why is it he always gets the biggest hug?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work on the doll.....she looked kind of Dali, pardon the pun, when I saw the eye! Practice will make perfect. The red felt project is interesting...slippers?

Conni said...

Oooh, I think she's downright charming!

Maddie Can Fly said...

Big kudos for even attempting clay -- sculpting is not my strong suit, so I think you did great on doing something as hard as a face.