December 17, 2008

Baking break

I decided to take a baking break this afternoon. I was tired of scent of cardboard and yearned for a more holiday-like aroma. My mom's ginger snap recipe came to mind. She used to make these cookies every Christmas. We had a family tradition of spending Christmas Eve with special friends in town, and the mister was very fond of these. He and his wife lived in a small house and every year they put up half a Christmas tree. I always got a kick out of that. They would shop for a tree and then ask the tree lot guy to slice it down the middle. I was always happy they didn't carry this quirkiness over to their gift-giving.


GINGER SNAPS

3/4 cup shortening
1 egg
4 Tablespoons molasses
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground ginger
Some extra sugar in a bowl for rolling cookies.

Cream the first 4 ingredients.
Sift the dry ingredients (I use the food processor)
Add dry ingredients to wet ones and mix well.
Roll into balls and coat with sugar.
Place on baking sheet and press down with a fork.
Bake at 375' for 9-10 min.

I try not to overbake these, as they get too crisp.
Take them out just before you think they're done.
9 minutes works for me.

ENJOY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice simple recipe for before and/or after Christmas. Thanks, and hope the closing went without a hitch! Merry Christmas!

kathy b said...

Half Christmas tree story is too much! I WANT ONE! What a fun idea. We could share it. Mmmmm, smell of cabinets is gone here too. Al baked and baked today.