January 06, 2008

Waffles

Meet Waffles. It seemed an appropriate name considering his heritage.
And to think just a week ago he was an ol' syrup jug.
Mr. G has persisted in calling him a penguin. I'll admit I do see a resemblance. Which makes me think that if only I had another syrup jug I could go in that direction. Maybe I should make waffles for breakfast more often.
Too bad the sparkle doesn't show up well in the pictures. He sparkles all over, especially when he's sitting in a sunny window. I painted him with a coat of gesso and then a coat of Mod Podge Sparkle. The red mittens and black buttons were too bright after I painted them, but were muted nicely with the Mod Podge.
He's wearing a felt hat that I dusted with a little bit of crystal glitter. His scarf is made from wired ribbon that came on one of my Christmas gifts. I wanted a scarf that looked like it was blowing in the breeze, and the wired ribbon is just the thing.
When he was all finished, I traced around the base and cut out a piece of felt to glue on the bottom. This will make him more table-friendly.
This project brought back memories of an art class I took in my earlier college years. One of the assignments was to make something from paper mache. I made a silly purple bird as I remember, but one of my classmates made Ferdinand the Bull. Ferdinand was the main character in a children's book that was written back in the 30's. Ol' Ferdie didn't have the right attitude for the bullfighting ring; he preferred smelling flowers. My classmate's father owned a meat market, and Ferdie, the paper mache bull--who was a breathtaking work of art by the way--graced the top of his butcher case for many happy years from what I've been told.
So now I'm on the look-out for interesting food containers. But I swear on my stack of craft magazines and knitting books that I will never ever resort to dumpster cruising.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Turned out right nicely, I'd say! Very cute!

Conni said...

Well now, he's downright
adorable! Clever!