January 03, 2008

Deep Freeze

It was 9 degrees when I got up this morning, so it seemed like a good day to build a snowman. Inside, of course!
Mr. Gadget roughed up the maple syrup jug using 100-grit sandpaper, and removed the little handle thingie with a hack saw. He was about to give me the specifications on the plastic too, but I told him that wasn't necessary. I should mention he could just as well be called Mr. Plastic as Mr. Gadget.
Then I started applying the instant paper mache. In my usual disorganized way, I forgot to save the instructions so I ended up winging it. I'm getting good at that. I added water and some white glue to the paper dust (that's what it looks like) and mixed it in a ziplock bag. It helped to have a bowl of water nearby to smooth things out as I worked, since the paper was starting to dry out.
It wasn't long before I had a pretty good rendition of a snowman. After he's dry....which takes forever when you just want to get on with things.....I'll put a coat of gesso on him and that may be all the color he needs. I think I'll apply a coat of Mod Podge Sparkle too, for a little bit of bling.
Then he'll need a hat and scarf and a smiley face. In place of the chopstick, he'll be holding a broom made of twigs. I should have no trouble finding some suitable twigs early next week when the temperatures are set to soar up into the 50's around here. And it would be nice if he'd get to work and sweep up under the table.
So back to my book project. I happened to spot a little scrap of red plaid paper on the floor of the treehouse. It got me wondering just how small I could make one of those little books. I'm pretty sure I could even go smaller than this. It would be just the right size for listing all of my reasons for doing housework....

1 comment:

Nancy Anne in the Finger Lakes said...

Reasons for doing housework? Isn't that something that will fit on the head of a very, very small pin - with the Gettysburg Address on there, too?? Love the snowman - I'm looking forward to seeing him all dressed up!!