October 16, 2007

Where are the pigeon police?

Over the weekend, Mr. Gadget and I took a walk down by the beach and noticed this family surrounded by pigeons having a feeding frenzy.
And with this many pigeons gathered in one place--with more on their way--you just know pigeon poop is inevitable. Now I wonder.....just how healthy an environment is this for a little guy? Then again, maybe a once-a-week dose of pigeon poop is healthier than being around the daily cigarette smoking of his mother who I conveniently cropped out. Gotta wonder.
Makes me think of Mr. G's brother who quite a few years ago was doing graduate work in ornithology. The kids affectionately called him "Uncle Birdie." He was used to regular contact with bird poop because of his field work. But he was always clean-looking and freshly scented when he came to visit. Which makes me believe that it cleans up well.

So here's one of the jacket fronts almost finished. I still have some details to fill in. I'll probably sew beads in the flower centers, and a few bead clusters around the leaves. After I complete the whole project (you know, after the next cruise....) I'll take it out in the sun for a nice photo that will better show its true colors.


And yesterday I met an old friend for lunch and gave her a belated birthday present. This made up for the card I sent much too early. I purchased this hand-painted ceramic bowl in Mexico for a mere pittance (but don't tell her I told you!) and then found the fabric from which I stitched up the little bread cloth. She thought I was very clever. "Cheap" is a more appropriate word than "clever".

So tomorrow Mr. G and I are driving to San Diego to meet my cousin and take her to lunch. We're going to Horton Plaza, which I hear is quite picturesque with many shops and restaurants. I plan to take my camera. I hope there are no pigeons......


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am looking forward to Horton Plaza pictures! Went there when it was first built quite a few years back and it was a very interesting shopping experience! Have fun! Interesting about pigeon poop picture...perhaps early exposure builds up immunities for later in life? I was not ever afraid of the stuff until Legionaires Disease came along.

kathy b said...

The work on the jacket is spectacular. You have a real gift. Enjoying your Guatemala images. So colorful. great work marcia.