February 26, 2007

Blogger blues

I have no appropriate picture to go with today's post, so I give you this yellow hibiscus--the state flower of Hawaii. I took it when Mr. G. and I were walking around Honolulu. I also took this one of a bike rack Hawaiian style. It always tickles me to see something creative and innovative.


So Dear Ol' Dad isn't doing so well. It's been a long road he and I have travelled together, starting 4-1/2 years ago when I found out he was falling here in his condo and I had the difficult job of moving him to assisted living. He had no interest in moving to Connecticut. His native-Californian blood wouldn't take too well to the cold he told me. Besides, he had family and friends in the area. That's when I became a regular customer of JetBlue.

A few years ago, I discovered an interesting website devoted to embroidery....and not that machine stuff either. Hand embroidery. I know you're probably wondering where this is going. I love doing embroidery and I try to squeeze some in between dollmaking and knitting projects. Jenny Hart does some amazing portraits.

One day I was browsing Jenny's site (she also has this one), and I found this stitched portrait she had done of her father. It reminded me of an old photo of my dad in his Army uniform taken way back in the day. So I went through the old photos last night and here it is.

I think there are some similarities.....the uniform, the smile, the glasses, the era. And what struck me the most was the name. Dear ol' Dad's name is Lyle too. I may just send this picture to Jenny and see what she thinks.

So there's not much else on my mind these days, as I make visits to the nursing home and come back to sit by the phone. In a little while, I'm going to lunch with a dear friend. She's been a real source of support to me as I've managed DOD's care over the years. We're planning to meet at a great new restaurant in the area that makes the best cheesecake I've ever eaten. And there's no question about it. It's hard to be blue when you're eating cheesecake......






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Marcia. I'll be thinking of you!