December 30, 2006

Resolutions for the new year

Today I joined my Red Hat group for a holiday lunch. The last time I attended a Red Hat get-together was for the infamous Rhode Island "all-about-the-potty" lunch train. Today's event was closer to home at a very nice restaurant that had plenty of restrooms. And it was certainly nice not to have to think about that. There were a dozen of us, and most everyone was pretty well decked out in their red and purple finery. There were red hats all around and many boas and fancy purses and a few pairs of shoes in the appropriate colors.....and lots of pictures of grandchildren (some new since last we met) being passed around the table....and a couple of conversations about operations and medical procedures. It was pretty typical of a gathering of women, many of whom now qualify for senior citizen discounts. Not me, of course.....

So our Queen Mother--the lady who started our group and is an extraordinary organizer--proclaimed that we should all bring a wrapped present that we would re-gift. In other words, none of us should be required to go back to the mall to shop (horrors!) Rather, we would find something among our things that would be appropriate to pass on. I, being a real pack rat, was having a hard time coming up with something as the deadline loomed, so I ended up wrapping one of my craft items--a cute little grapevine wreath with a homespun bow and two yellow fabric chicks. After all, Spring is just around the corner.

When the gifts were sorted out, by way of a clever draw-a-number system, I ended up with the snack plates pictured above. And when I got home and took them out to show Mr. Gadget and Tech Guy, it dawned on me that the messages were perfect for adopting as my New Years resolutions. They are short and to the point, and most importantly--they don't have any words that refer to dieting....

And on another subject, which would be knitting, today I assembled the Noro shawl-collared jacket. I was finally able to fix the sleeve (the one I cut into when trying to rip out the first assembling attempt). I still have lots of yarn ends to weave in before it will be ready for its photo debut. I hope to have it finished in the next day or two. And the gray striped socks too. Then I'll move on to the elderberry sweater. I'm still looking for the lost pattern though, and if it doesn't reveal itself soon I may have to consult my Ouija board.......

No comments: