December 03, 2006

Craft Fair



Here I am at the craft fair yesterday, photo thanks to Mr. Gadget. He dropped by, as he usually does, around lunch time and offered to buy me the standard craft fair fare. It wasn't gourmet quality by any means, but it always tastes good when someone else buys and brings it to you. Poor Mr. G. had to hand me the tray and then crawl under the table to join me. It seems that the lady who was in charge didn't understand that we might need to get out from behind our tables once in a while during the day. Although my table was along the wall, which is always preferable to being out in the middle of the room, it was jammed up against the next table. There were at least a dozen tables along the wall with nary a space to escape.

My predictions about the fair were pretty predictable, although the table cloths weren't as shiny this year, and the music was just the radio playing over the P.A. system complete with commercials. The priest came around to say hello, and Santa showed up on schedule. I did just so-so with my sales, but I did manage to sell a couple of my larger dolls that had been hanging around the treehouse for a long time. I also sold quite a few ornaments, including 3 of the new Santas. You might remember my comment about printing the date on the back. One buyer said she was getting it for a newly-married couple and it would be nice for them to have the year of their wedding on it.

So Mr. G. got the lights on the tree and today I finished the decorating. We have accumulated way too many ornaments, but of course all of them are meaningful, or just too wonderful not to put on. Here is a picture of the handmade oyster shell Santa that I mentioned earlier:


His nose has been made out of some kind of modeling compound and attached to the shell. He was made by a lady in South Carolina, and I'm sure she collected the shells along the beach. I realized while decorating the tree that we have quite a collection of Santa ornaments--some purchased and some handmade. Maybe I'll include a few pictures in a future post.

I'm just as bad about my craft fair paraphernalia as I am about my suitcase. It takes me a long time to get stuff unpacked. But this week I have a good excuse. I'm doing another fair on Friday at a local health care facility. I've done it for the last 3 or 4 years. There will only be about a dozen tables (all nicely spaced). While I used the time yesterday to do some gift knitting, I'll use the time on Friday to work on my Christmas cartoon--the macaroni version of the Christmas letter. I keep threatening to make each issue my last, but then friends and relatives tell me it makes them laugh and they excitedly wait by their mailboxes each year. I guess I'm just a glutton for the compliments. But I'm really going to stop soon......maybe next year.....unless they send chocolate......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You and your wares look great! Reading your blog makes me think of the energizer bunny because you and Mr. G. are so active! Keep it up!

Me and Mr H. are real slugs next to the two of you!