September 20, 2006

Monkey's dilemma



Sometimes I think it would be nice, just for a day or two, to have nothing to fret over except which banana to eat first. This little guy was an impulse purchase I made a few years ago when I went for a weekend to the Poconos with my friend Linda. She picked me up in her PT Cruiser and off we went for a carefree couple of days. Monkey usually sits on my windowsill here in the treehouse, above the computer, reminding me that it's ok to daydream.

The other night I watched an interesting show on CNN that was about genius and creativity and the workings of the mind. I was especially interested in the creativity part; Lord knows I can't relate to genius. I've always wondered why I get some of my best ideas and solutions to dilemmas when I'm in the shower. Well...heh...heh....I was pretty sure that particular subject wouldn't be covered. Wasn't I surprised when an expert doctor of something-or-other said that the creative process involves lots of input from various sources, followed by a period of rest. He went on to say that creative ideas spring up when we are resting in bed or taking a walk or maybe even.....in the bathtub. I remember back in the old days when I used to have to balance my checkbook--before I had Mr. Gadget to do it for me. What a hair-pulling-out dilemma that could be! Somehow the numbers always got friendlier once I was well-scrubbed.

It's lovely here in the east today, and the leaves are just starting to change color and fall. This is the best time of the year to be in the treehouse. Well, winter isn't too bad either....with the snow falling and the heat on and a steaming cup of hot chocolate.....sugar-free of course... Today I'm sewing hair on two witches and a Red Hat lady. It smelled pretty sheepy in here when I opened the directly-from-the-farm bag o' wool, but it's better now. The ladies have been well-shampooed, and I've got my sheep-be-gone scented candle burning.....

No comments: