September 18, 2006

Give me a (potty) break!



This weekend was the big Red Hat adventure aboard the Newport Dinner Train (aka the lunch train). You will notice the blue Rhode Island Saturday sky above the nicely-lettered and very welcoming banner that should have also included the following message: "Please use the potty at the Dunkin Donuts up the road before you board."

After a 3-1/2 hour bus ride.....with potty on board that proved too difficult to navigate for some of our more full-bodied members....and potty breaks at a rest stop and the first of what would be two Dunkin Donuts visits, we weren't too pleased to be greeted at the train as follows:

"Welcome," said the train guy. "Your group is a little early and we're still setting up the tables. I must tell you that our onboard restroom facilities are somewhat limited. There's only one per car and it doesn't take long before it's over-stressed, shall we say." As if that wasn't uncomfortable enough news to our group of over-50 kidneys. "Sometimes it even starts to smell," he added. Oh yum. Bring on the gourmet delights......

So here I am with my tablemate Joanne. We were indeed fortunate to be seated at the opposite end of the train car from the restroom. Our meals were tasty; I had forgotten what I had ordered months ago when I made my deposit, so the filet of sole was a pleasant surprise. And the Amaretto cheesecake was very good. I had iced tea, which I sipped sparingly, and I ordered a half a cup of coffee with dessert. Did I mention the restroom facilities were questionable? Since the train ride was 2-1/2 hours, I figured maybe with good planning I could make it to Dunkin Donuts.

On the ride home, after our last visit to the donut place, we made a shopping stop at Old Mystic Village in Connecticut. There were plenty of potties there......just in case you're thinking of visiting. From what I could see, the only shoppers among our group were the grandmothers. They were stocking up on Christmas gifts for their grandkids. And from what I could tell, this means buying things the kids don't need and spending unreasonable amounts of money for them. I don't plan to ever do that.....

So when I finally got home and walked in the door, right away Mr. Gadget asked me how my day was. "It was quite an adventure," I told him. "I'll tell you all about it just as soon as I'm out of the bathroom."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Mr. Hobbyist will be so impressed that you and the rest of the Red Hat Ladies got to go on a short train ride! He loves trains!Also I appreciate the facilities warning and am sure Mr. Hobbyist will like being forewarned, too. Now if only we can remember about that.