September 12, 2006

Foraging for fabric


What is it about fabric and yarn, that when you just go for a little window shopping, it just jumps right into your hands? Since this is my last day in southern California, I decided to spend a couple of hours this morning visiting some fabric stores. And now that I've delivered the cat and the witch dolls, I just happen to have space in my suitcase, not to mention a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket. Here's my loot and my plans for it: (l - r) witch doll with the moons, ladybug, another witch (with silver stars and snowflakes....maybe she'll be a winter witch), two red hat ladies, some cookies for my food quilt, and the black and white dots for the ladybug's collar....remember when I had to leave the first one on the shelf for weeks while I fretted over the collar challenge?

So I delivered Mildred to her new owner yesterday. We met at Starbucks where we had a pumpkin spice latte. Very tasty if I do say so. I've mentioned before that I don't care too much for Starbucks coffee because it's too strong. But the pumpkin latte was delicious, and so appropriate for the occasion I thought.

Tomorrow I'll be flying back home to the east coast after a weeks' visit here with my dad in the nursing home. He's slipping a bit. He's 86 and he's like the Energizer Bunny......just kind of winding down. It's always hard to leave, even after all the practice I've had. I've been doing this now for a few years.

I do have a nice trip to look forward to on Saturday. I'll be joining my Red Hat group for a bus trip to Rhode Island, and a luncheon train ride. I haven't partaken of any red hat activities in quite a while, what with all the traveling Mr. Gadget and I have been doing. I'm going to have to dust off the hat and hope it's cool enough for the boa. I crocheted it a couple of years ago out of chenille. It always gets a comment or two. I used a gigantic crochet hook, and it took a little getting used to working with it. My crocheting grandma would have been proud!

So I'm off for one more visit with dear ol' dad, and then I'll be returning here to the condo to clean up my mess. I've been known to leave dishes in the sink and the bed unmade when there's no one around to impress. Mr. Gadget tells me he's down to his last chicken pot pie. I guess that's good enough reason to head home.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a cute red hat lady! Bon Voyage! Don't forget to claim the "prize"--Panera Bread, bee there or bee square on your next visit to SoCal.