September 23, 2006

Crazy Quilt(er)



I retrieved TG's crazy quilt from the basement closet yesterday and found it to be spider-free. Seems I used some unusual good sense and packed it in a plastic zippered bag. It was fun to look at some of the embroidered tidbits I did way back then. The quilt label, also embroidered, says 1987.

Here is the patch for his first day of school. Too bad there is no spellcheck for quiltmakers. I must make a correction when I do the repair work, since I've always been a stickler for good spelling! Then again, maybe I'll just leave it. TG will have a good laugh over it, especially when he tells people, "Why yes, my mother is a college graduate." I remember taking TG to see his classroom just before school started. There was another mother and son doing the same thing. We got acquainted and became the class room mothers. We still correspond. Her son, little Ben, is now in medical school.

The worm hunt patch probably refers to our walks around the yard, after the rain, looking for turtle food. We used to have a box turtle, a gift from Uncle Alan who teaches college zoology. He did his doctorate work on birds, so we've been known to call him Uncle Birdie. The turtle loved worms....and mandarin orange segments. He would saunter over for the worms, but almost gallop for the oranges. He was quite a healthy turtle, what with all the Vitamin C.

I think the lemons had to do with his grandfather's lemon tree. I don't remember exactly. It would be fun to spread the quilt out on the floor for the next family get-together and hark back. I'm sure with a little brainstorming, we'll be able to remember them all.

I've thought about updating the quilt with more recent information. I'll put the graduation dates on it and the family vacations, and maybe the memorable Halloween costumes. I'll forget about the car accidents and the piercings and the green and purple hair experiments. After all, their children....should they have any....will most likely view the quilt at some point. On second thought, maybe I can sneak in a really good one just for revenge. Then one day, when I'm a grandma sitting at the family Thanksgiving table, I'll have a good laugh when I hear something like this: "But Dad, it says here that you had green hair, 5 ear piercings and baggy pants hanging down past your butt." Just the thought of this makes me want to go find my needle and thread.........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

C'est magnifique!