January 11, 2007

Just another day in Dingleberry


I was up early enough to get a picture of a pretty sunrise this morning. Well, it's not a fabulous sunrise, but it's a change from sunsets. I'm turning over a new leaf by getting up this early. It's amazing how much more of the day I have to do things. In fact, I should spend some serious crafting time in the treehouse in the early hours, since the windows face the east. And thanks to Mr. Gadget, I have a nifty coffee-cup warmer.

So I had just gotten back from the grocery store this afternoon when the phone rang. "Hello," said I. "May I speak to the owner or the decision-maker?" a male voice asked. To which I replied, "No," and promptly hung up.

Several seconds later, the phone rang again. "M'am, you hung up on me. That was very rude," he said in a scolding tone.

"No, you were rude by not identifying yourself," I quickly shot back. "We're on the do-not-call list."

"Well, I was about to get to that when you rudely hung up on me. I'm calling from the Dingleberry Police and we don't have to abide by the list," he told me.

"We get calls all the time from the Dingleberry Police," I informed him, "and they always identify themselves. I'm sorry if I was rude."

"That's ok," he said. "Do you usually contribute to the police organizations?" "No," I said. To which he curtly replied, "Alright, thank you, good-bye."

We get these calls all the time. The caller usually asked for Mr. Gadget by his first name. They really tick me off. I used to worry that if I said no to my local police, they would somehow short-change me in the protection department. Like maybe if I had to call them for some urgent matter, they might just take their time getting here. Then I found out that the people who call are usually just fundraiser-types and not actual cops. I have no problem saying no now. But I worry about senior citizens who might feel intimidated and give away money they can't afford.....regularly, because these people call at least once a month. Chalk it up to another one of my pet peeves.



So, I've begun packing for the trip out west on Saturday. As you can see, I've got my priorities straight. Lots of yarn and knitting projects. And for those of you (you know who you are) who think I should have a ball winder, think no further. I'm one of those weird knitters who kind of enjoys winding my own yarn. I was thinking of packing a felted ornament kit too, but it might be too much. I suppose I should save a little space for some clothes.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! What a pretty sunrise with those leafless trees!