October 04, 2013

Sneezy

So on Wednesday...even though I had a cough, the sniffles, and watering bloodshot eyes....
.......my doctor pronounced me fit as a fiddle.  She was nice enough to raise the back of the examining table so I could recline slightly rather than having to sit with my legs dangling over while she asked me her usual 201 questions.

I told her about my nasty encounter with the calcium pills and she suggested I get the chewables.  That would be the perfect solution if only I didn't already have a gigantic Costco supply.  So the ever-helpful Mr. Gadget went to his closet-o-gadgets and brought out his razor cutters.  Who knew there were such things?  He cut the pills in half....but refused to go so far as to sand the rough edges. I'm sure I'll manage.

At some point the doc suggested that I might consider getting myself a sinus irrigation thingie.  She uses one herself she told me, and it's effective in preventing sinus infections. It's called a neti pot. Truth be told, I already had one stashed away in the back of a cupboard.  

A friend told me about them years ago and said she was getting fewer colds since using one.  Even though I had good intentions, I found the whole idea rather repugnant.  One must lean over the sink and pour water into a nostril and let it drain out the other.  Then the process is reversed.  

So I got up my nerve and tried it yesterday.....and it wasn't too bad.  In fact, it wasn't bad at all.  My nose felt amazingly refreshed....like it wanted to go out on the town.

And then the doc gave me the best news ever.  She said I was too sick to get my flu shot and that I'd have to wait till I was feeling better.

No comments: