October 28, 2013

Samoa...it's not just a cookie

I just typed a long post and lost it.  I hate when that happens!

So we're now underway to the Samoas...Western (Apia) and American (Pago Pago).  This is the first of 4 sea days.  Our time in Hawaii was wonderful, but very warm....about 90 degrees.  I didn't do any shopping, but opted for lots of sweating instead.  Yesterday I made a stop at my favorite shop in Maui--Maui Hands in Lahaina--just to browse.  There's always a big display of whimsical clay pieces by a local artist I admire.  I will send a picture and more details when I return home.  My favorite this time was a large ostrich in high heels. I'm always inspired by his work.

Today the knitting group meet-ups resumed.  These are held on sea days.  This time I didn't do much knitting, but did some teaching instead.  The lady on my right was in need of help learning to crochet, and the one on my left asked me to show her how to add a second yarn to her project--a doll sweater.  This is one of many good things about knitting groups.  There is always someone who knows more than you do and can share.  One of the ladies mentioned that she'd seen a needle-felting kit in Maui and thought about buying it, but then thought better of it because she figured she'd get addicted.  Don't I know.

The weather has been wonderful....except for all that sweating....and the seas have been calm.  There's still lots of good entertainment onboard.  People-watching is the best.  No good stories to pass along, at least nothing to top the false-teeth one, but there's still lots of cruise left.  Halloween will be here in a few days and that should bring out the best. Many passengers have already decorated their doors.

We've been told that the internet connection isn't always the best in the south Pacific, but I'll hope for the best.  I will try to post a picture next time.  Mr. Gadget assures me he has the necessary gadgets to do it.  I'd ask him to do it now, but he's at the gym....making me look bad.  I'll show him.  I'm going to wrap this up right now and head up to the buffet for a fruit tart.

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

Hahaha. That Mr. G at the gym and showing everyone up......enjoy that fruit tart. The access to all that food is why "Hubbs" and I don't dare cruise. Sounds like fun,tho. No beds to make and no cooking to do and lots of fun places and people watching, too, with a resident group of handicrafters who knit and crochet! AAhhh the life of a cruiser....who knits and crochets and is very creative!!! Pago Pago, Bora Bora...Tahiti....wow! Fun! Looking forward to the pix.....and future blogs!