September 07, 2013

I'm all aglow

You've probably seen these.  They start appearing big time in stores this time of year.  Battery-operated candles.  With timers.  And remotes. Plus, they flicker and emit a pleasant vanilla fragrance.  Mr. Gadget brought some home from Costco the other day and put them around the house.  He set them to come on around 7 in the evening, and go off about 11.  I like them, and they give me a sense that I'm in church....so I don't actually have to go.  That can be a real plus for someone who's working overtime in the Witchworks. 

  
And speaking of that, here's one I'm working on now.  I would really like to finish her, but I'm not happy with the hat color.  You know how I'm never happy.  There's just not enough contrast to suit me.  The yellow matches some small yellow moons in her outfit, but it doesn't complement her face.  I'm thinking of ripping the hat off and starting over.  It's glued on and should come off easily with a little force....especially if I'm thinking about the world situation or the most recent pathetic performance of the NY Yankees.

I came up with a great solution for affixing hats to witch heads.  I used to glue the hair on and then the hat on top of that, but hair is not an easy thing to glue something to.  So now I glue the hat on the bald head and then just glue some hair on the head around the bottom of the brim.  Dollmakers everywhere have known about this little trick for years...maybe even centuries.  But I'm a little slow.  I think my batteries are going...

1 comment:

Kathy W said...

Oh no your are the energizer bunny of doll makers....you'll think of the right "color" for that new witch of yours!lolol My get up and go got up and went years ago. So I like those easy flickering candles never heard of the kind that you can "set" tho. Neato!