August 09, 2011

Mystery solved

I've always wondered where onions come from. Now I know.

The funny thing about following an onion truck is that before you see it you'd swear it was snowing....and not one of those light snows either. It's the heavy stuff. But then you notice the outside thermometer on your car says 92 degrees and there's just no way it could be snow. And for a few minutes you're mystified....until you pass the truck....and then you realize it's onions and you're digging through your purse to find some tissues to dry your tears.

Our weekend in NoCal was fun and very relaxing. We did a lot of eating, which is pretty much standard operating procedure when you've married into an Italian family. Friday night we attended a big whoop-de-doo seafood buffet--overlooking San Francisco bay and the Golden Gate Bridge. We couldn't see the bridge because of the fog, so we enjoyed the view of the entire span of the dessert table instead. On Saturday we partook of a picnic lunch, followed by a grilled steak dinner at the home of Mr. Gadget's youngest brother. He's quite the cook and subscribes to the culinary theory that garlic and wine improve any meal, and the more of each the better.

I hereby proclaim that the contest doll will be finished by the weekend. I'm getting tired of fiddling with it. I'm almost certain I've come up with a solution for the glue problem. Mr. Gadget--who lived up to his name today--purchased some small clamps at Home Depot so I can glue it, clamp it, and find something more interesting to do than sit and hold it together while it dries.

And speaking of interesting things to do, this afternoon I made some guacamole for Mr. Gadget. He's a big fan of guac (that's what I call it when I'm in Cali). I don't actually have a recipe. I just throw stuff in the food processor. Three ripe avocados, about 3/4 of a can of tomatoes with jalapenos (Del Monte I think), chopped garlic, lemon juice, chopped red onion, chopped cilantro, salt and plenty of pepper. I usually add some hot sauce to kick it up a notch or two.

Do you know what the best thing is about making Mr. G a big bowl of guac? He usually calls it dinner...

1 comment:

Marge Malwitz said...

Enjoy keeping in touch this way! I love the easy quac supper!