January 25, 2011

J is for jacket

The garish, I mean festive, jacket is almost finished. I still have to take out some basting threads and fix one area on the inside that didn't come out as well as expected. I'd like to blame the pattern designer, but it's more likely my garment-construction skills gone rusty. That's bound to happen when one throws over the garment-making world for the world of whimsy. And forget about the promise of it being a 3-hour project.

Of course, that could have been because of my rusty skills, but I think it may have been partly due to the fabric being slippery and difficult to manage. I might make this jacket again in a non-slippery fabric before I judge the pattern too harshly.

I do wish I had made it in the longer version. More of my troublesome hip area would have been hidden from view, and it might have even diverted attention from my thunder thighs. Well, maybe they aren't quite thunder-like yet, but the clouds are definitely starting to gather. I think the longer jacket would have looked fine with black pants. I have another piece of this same kind of fabric that I acquired on-the-cheap at the Joann's moving sale and I may use it for the longer version. It's black and brown, and downright sedate compared to this one.

My plan for the jacket pictured above is for it to be a costume for cruising or as something to wear to one of our condo cocktail parties. Halloween comes to mind. I'm pretty sure no one will bother to look inside to see just what a sloppy seamstress I can be when I'm in a hurry to just get something done. Then again, if I had a really good mask I guess it wouldn't bother me much...

3 comments:

Marcia said...

Very nice! I need to get back to sewing since I've given up up my old standby, Talbots. I'd love to do a jacket in handwoven fabric one of these days. Anyway, your jacket should be very nice with white or black pants...or a long skirt. Off to stock up before yet another snowstorm. Gaack.

Marcia said...

That should be given up ON....

Marge Malwitz said...

Hilarious writing!