October 09, 2009

Moving along

It's almost Santa season here in the Treehouse and I already have a few underway.

I used to make Santas with black bead eyes, but this time I decided to draw them on. And what's a Santa without glasses? My usual way of applying beards is to make yarn bundles and glue them on across the face. This time I'm going to try something different to see if I can eliminate lots of yarn ends that fray. Santa should never be scruffy-looking; he should always look sharp and well-groomed for his numerous mall appearances.

So I'll be making beards and stuffing Santa boots for the next few days while I watch baseball with Mr. Gadget. We're big Yankee fans. I'm not sure how that happened exactly. I used to be a big Dodger fan while I was growing up in southern California. In fact, I would often take my transister radio to bed so I could hear the end of the games on school nights. I don't think my folks ever knew.

Back then, players stayed with one team for their whole careers, unless they were really bad and then they might get traded. Things are a lot different now and it irritates me. The teams that start the season in April rarely resemble the team that finished the previous October. It's all about big money now and the quick fix.

"I'm not going to be watching much baseball this year," I tell Mr. Gadget as spring training begins. "I hardly recognize anyone on the team." But then I watch a game or two--just to keep Mr. G company and to do a little knitting--and before you know it I'm hooked and cheering for all those strangers. By the end of the season, we've become old friends.

I guess there's just something about the game and the long season, not to mention all that knitting, that softens me up and makes me forget my springtime sentiments. I wonder if I could make bobble-head dolls?

1 comment:

Marcia Cooke said...

Life-long Yankee fan, although of the fair weather variety. And if they're not having a good year, I have no trouble cheering for the Red Sox!