August 20, 2009

Beauty queen

Last night, after reaching my TV baseball-watching limit, I decided to get out the clay and have a go at another witch head.
This time I took on the big-nose challenge. I also gave her some bushy eyebrows and a frightening pair of beady eyes, although these particular eyes weren't planned. She's showing a striking resemblance to Silly Milly. In fact, they may be distant cousins. I thought she was done, but then I realized one side of her chin needed some filling out, so I went ahead and gave her some bags under her eyes.
You gotta love an old gal like this who can still smile in spite of it all.
There's nothing better than a witch head for sculpting practice. The uglier they are, the scarier they are, and scaring people is one of the true callings of a witch. I learned some things this time around. Carving a mouth seems to work better than building one up with more clay. As I pressed down around the mouth with my wooden sculpting tool, something resembling teeth appeared as if by magic.
The spiders had been failing miserably at their job of gobbling up the ants. Then I realized maybe they couldn't see them, so I painted on some new and improved eyes.
Maybe now they'll get to work. A veritable banquet awaits.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Oh, she's better! More chin, though, and a wart. Witches always seem to have at least one big old wart...

PS....your word verification thing today is pedis. I looked quickly and thought it was something, um, else. Oy.