April 05, 2009

Wordsmithing

I've been pretty busy lately, what with this big painting job I've taken on. But I did take a break late yesterday to make Mr. Gadget a delicious dinner for our anniversary. Grilled cheese sandwiches. I checked the list of traditional anniversary gifts....you know, the one that says the first year is paper and the 25th is silver. And right there, in black and white, it said the 28th was grilled cheese....
So I was browsing through some of my old blog posts the other evening, and I noticed that Mr. Gadget's propensity for wordsmithing is rubbing off on me. He has an unusual ability to invent new words faster than I can drive to the fabric store. Did I ever mention that at one time I entertained thoughts of publishing a Mr. Gadget Dictionary?
Here, then, is a look back at some of my own wordy inventions:
chipmunking - The system I use to decide whether or not to take on a big project. This is based on the system used by a backyard chipmunk visitor who circles repeatedly....sometimes till he's silly dizzy.... around a dish of sunflower seeds before homing in on it for a big feast.
dustmop knitting (as in dustmop sweater) - The act of knitting a wonderful garment for one of your children that eventually becomes a dustmop because it will most likely live on the floor.
spinish - The language spoken by those who spin yarn. This can also be what a slightly tipsy person would call a green, leafy vegetable.
stickerectomy - The process by which annoying stickers are removed from fruit and vegetables, or, in some cases, the front page of your daily newspaper.
curmudgeonism - The doctrine subscribed to by certain senior citizens who like to make rules for everyone else, but even more importantly, to enforce said rules.
nunisms - Funny little sayings....although only funny in hindsight.....uttered by nuns in Catholic school classrooms. These can also refer to certain actions performed by nuns, such as striking naughty little hands with a ruler.
Plant Protective Services - That agency of the government responsible for citing, and sometimes even taking into custody, those persons who neglect to properly care for their house plants.
buffet-line interruptus - The abominable act performed by some folks who batantly barge into a food buffet line, with total disregard for those who have patiently waited their turns, because they deem themselves more important than everyone else....or are just afraid they'll miss out on the tapioca pudding.
Moving on..... Mr. Gadget was ever-the-understanding one late today when he took into account my aching body from all of the step-ladder climb-uping and ceiling-painting hair highlighting sessions I endured over the weekend, and he suggested we order a pizza. I believe pizza is actually the traditional gift for the 29th, but no matter. And I've decided that tomorrow I will enjoy an entire day of paint-fume gaposis....

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Very funny....I'm especially fond of "spinish"!

Kathy W said...

Leave it to Mr. Gadget.....