April 11, 2009

Oldie but a goodie

I took this picture early this morning as Mr. Gadget and I were heading out to do some work at our old house. This elderly barn is just down the street from our new condo. I don't know how old it is but it has character, and I love old buildings with character. The setting appears serene but it's deceiving. The barn sits between a busy two-lane highway and a new bypass that is currently under construction. This may well be a treasure that just squeaked by.

So when we arrived at the old house, we noticed that the septic guy had refilled the hole he dug to replace the broken pipe, and thoughtfully planted new grass seed.

"Do you know what he did with the old, broken pipe?" Mr. Gadget asked me.

"I'm assuming he hauled it away in his truck," I said.

"Nope," said Mr. G. "He buried it right alongside the new one. No muss, no fuss, and no need to pay annoying disposal fees."

"Too bad he didn't bury the top of that toilet tank too, you know, the one the plumber forgot to cart away," I remarked.

This got me to thinking about the people I've known who've buried statues of St. Joseph (the patron saint of real estate) in their yards to hasten the house-selling process.

"What if instead of burying St. Joseph, we bury the toilet top?" I half-jokingly suggested to Mr. G. "It might be worth a try. Weirder things have happened, right?"

"Couldn't hurt," replied Mr. G. "The garbage man sure as H*&@! isn't going to take it."

1 comment:

Marcia said...

I love old barns...that's a good one! Back in the day when we had the ranch in Kansas, they used to bury EVERYTHING! Of course, it was 20 miles or more to the local dump, if there even was one. Come to think of it, they didn't NEED a dump 'cause everyone...well, see the previous sentence!