July 25, 2008

Reunion gadfly on the job

This is the weekend of my high school reunion, and for weeks I've been scurrying around spreading the word. You can call me a certified gadfly.

Here's how I got the gadfly job. I simply suggested sending an email out to a couple dozen classmates who were listed on a school website to see if I could stir up the troops. And since I suggested it, I figured I should offer to do it. Then there was mention of dinner at a restaurant...sort of a pre-party warm-up..... and I threw out the name of a place that had good food and a convenient location, and you guessed it. More work for the gadfly. I'm usually a rather meek person who likes to hover in the background, so this gadfly business is something new. It's just going to be a weekend thing though....

My high school had a short life compared to some of those with the ivy-covered walls. It was only in existence for 22 years. It was the newest one of three in our area, but it was on prime real estate and enrollment was declining....so it bit the dust.

While some of the classes have traditional reunions at fancy halls and restaurants, ours hasn't....except for one or two in the early years. But every summer, in a local city park, there's an all-class gathering that was started some years ago by a few alums. It's a nice venue, and since it's California the weather is never an issue. It's always wonderful here.....but please don't spread that around! We native Californians used to get annoyed every time there was a beautiful sunny day for the Rose Parade. It meant more moving vans would be heading west.

So I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends I haven't seen in almost 40 years. There's Jane. We used to cruise the local A & W on Friday nights, and we weren't just going for the root beer. And there's Lucy. She and I were on drill team together, and she remembers the windy night we carried paper parasols during a disastrous half-time performance. And Sara. We were neighbors and schoolmates since kindergarten and she won all my marbles more than once.

I know there's no time now for hair highlights, botox, a manicure, or wrinkle cream. So I guess I'll just go look in my closet for something to wear that's slimming, slighty sexy and youthful-looking, yet tasteful and sophisticated....with maybe just a hint of spandex....heh...heh....

No comments: